St. Raphael's Church
Hapa Road, Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii
St. Raphael’s historic church, founded in 1841, has the distinction of being the very first Roman Catholic Church in Kauai. Lots of additions have been made to the church over the decades, like the adobe bell tower and two beautiful stone grottos on the sacred grounds. The first grotto, dedicated to the Risen Christ, was constructed in 1880 over the mouth of a lava tube. The second, completed in 1941, is dedicated to the miracle at Lourdes and features a statue of the Virgin Mary and St. Bernadette. While in Poipu, make sure to check out this lovely, historically significant church that contributes to Kauai’s diverse spiritual community.