Church of the Holy Ghost
4300 Lower Kula Road, Waiakoa, Maui, Hawaii
This lovely little octagon-shaped Roman Catholic church was built in 1894 by Portuguese immigrants who came to the Islands to work in the local sugar plantations. Designed by Father James Beissel, The Holy Ghost Catholic Church (also called Holy Ghost Mission) is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and underwent a huge restoration effort in 1991. Today, the church appears as lovely as it did in its hey-day, and the parishioners happily welcome all to celebrate mass with them on Saturday evenings or Sunday mornings, or to simply visit to learn more about the church’s history and the parish’s current activities.