King Kamehameha V Statue
417 South King Street, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
This tribute to King Kamehameha V stands proudly in the courtyard of Aliʻiolani Hale, currently the home of the Hawaii State Supreme Court and formerly the center of government for the Kingdom of Hawaii. A statue of the king was first commissioned in 1878 to celebrate the centennial anniversary of Captain Cook’s “discovery” of Hawaii. Sculptor Thomas Gould (an American living in Florence, Italy) was given the job. He ignored the photos of the King for the most part, giving his Kamehameha classical Roman facial features instead. The original statue was lost at sea during transport, but fortunately, it was insured. The statue that stands in the courtyard today is actually a hastily completed replica. Amazingly, the original was later recovered from the shipwreck and it now stands near Kamehameha’s birthplace in Kohala on the Big Island.